Saturday, July 20, 2019

July 20: Of Slavery



2 Chronicles 1:1-3:17

Romans 6:1-23

Psalm 16:1-11

Proverbs 19:20-21


Let's court controversy today, shall we? 


"Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey, whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?" - Romans 6:16


Slavery.  A hot button topic in the US once again, for various reasons.  But when I read today's New Testament reading from Romans, I am struck by a few things:


  1. Whether we like it or not, we are all slaves.  
  2. The choice isn't slavery or freedom, the choice is the master we will serve.: sin, or God. 
  3. When we choose the master, we surrender our freedom to that master.  Agreement is not a prerequisite to obedience.  This is obvious in God's case; less so in the case of sin, but no less true - you ever notice how difficult it is to kick a sinful habit, even after we've decided we don't want to do it anymore?
  4. And while we are able to choose the master, we are unable to dictate the consequences of that choice.  Slavery to sin leads to death; slavery to God, and to obedience to God, leads to righteousness.  


There are people who will see the word "slavery" and, in a burst of indignation, will refuse to read further.  There are those who will read what slavery to sin is about, and try to justify it, arguing there is nothing wrong with what they want. And there are those who will read through the verse, acknowledge where they have chosen poorly, and switch allegiances.  


I wish I could say I fell squarely into the last category.  I am, still, very much the person who tries to justify the selfish and sinful choices I make with the slightest hint of ancillary benefit.   I pray I learn to live like David, who in today's psalm declares "Lord, You alone are my portion and my cup."  May I learn the truth in today's proverb, that however many the plans in my heart, ultimately it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.  And may I learn to choose my master wisely.  


No comments:

Post a Comment