Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Perfect Timing

February 26, 2019


Leviticus 19-20:21, Mark 8:11-38, Psalm 42:1-11, Proverbs 10:17


I'm sure you've experienced a time when something is going on in life, you open the Bible or hear a verse, and BAM! God is giving you the words you needed to hear. Today was one of those days for me. Psalm 42 is a well known passage and I think of the song that comes from it. I know and remember the first two verses. They're engrained in me. But reading through the rest of the chapter is where Hod revealed Himself to me and gave me nourishment where my heart and soul needed. 


Tonight my Starbucks family said good bye to my close and great friend Joe. He passed away unexpectedly at the end of last week, leaving many of us in shock, great sadness, anger, and confusion. We stood outside a Starbucks tonight as a green apron family sharing laughs, stories, and memories. I knew many of the people there, but there were also many I did not know. Toward the end we shared a moment of silence and I was asked to pray. I've been thinking of Psalm 42 since I read it at 3:00 this morning and I praise God for using me to share His words of hope in the middle of sadness and despair. 


Tonight as I reflect on the day and events of the week I draw hope and comfort from this chapter. "Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." Psalm 42:5 


There were many there who don't believe in God. Many who look at Joe's death as another tick against God. They may have asked "Where is your God?" Just as many in this Psalm did. I know my answer just as the Psalmist did. He is there. Within me. He is my Rock "my Savior and my God." I pray that my friends "put their hope in [Him]," and that is what I prayed tonight. That our hearts would find joy and that God would give us joy in Him. 


Please keep my community in prayer. Pray for Joe's bride, Jenny, who is heartbroken. For his family, and friends. Pray that God would be seen through this. I go to bed now with a moving creature in my belly and a snuggling little mountain man and have comfort that "By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me— a prayer to the God of my life."

Psalm 42:8 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment