Tuesday, October 30, 2018

October 30

October 30, 2018
Lamentations 3:1-66
Hebrews 1:1-14
Psalm 102:1-28
Proverbs 26:21-22

Commentaries note that the title of the 102nd Psalm would also be a very appropriate title for Lamentations chapter 3: "The prayer of the afflicted, when he is overwhelmed and pours out his complaint before the Lord." A friend reminded me recently that God prefers our honesty (which leads to real intimacy) with Him over our "politeness." A good reminder for me as I read the first portion of this chapter.

The tenor of this passage changes in verse 21, when Jeremiah calls something to mind: "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."

While there is so much that could be explored about this chapter, I thought I would share two insights from Matthew Henry's commentary. He writes "God is an inexhaustible fountain of mercy...These rivers of mercy run fully and constantly, but never run dry." He continues, "Portions on earth are perishing things, but God is our portion forever…when I have God…I have enough; I have that which is sufficient to counterbalance all my troubles and makeup for all my losses."

These reminders give me hope and courage for this ordinary Tuesday in October, where just like every day, I desperately need and can draw from God's inexhaustible love and mercy and provision that "counterbalances all my troubles."

No comments:

Post a Comment