Saturday, June 23, 2018

June 23: Of Simple Acts and Trust, Instead of Great Ones and Arrogance


2 Kings 4:18-5:27
Acts 15:1-35
Psalm 141:1-10
Proverbs 17:23

2 Kings 5:13: Naaman's servants went to him and said, "My father, if the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more, then, when he tells you, 'Wash and be cleansed'!"

Who was Naaman?  A "commander of the army of the king of Aram", "highly regarded" and a "valiant soldier", through whom "the Lord had given victory to Aram".  A powerful man who many served, clearly capable of many things, of difficult things.  He served a supportive, and even more powerful master.  And he was a leper, who it seems was not looking for a cure, who had come to accept the irreversibility of his condition.

This is the man who came to Elisha, with silver and gold and clothing, with horses and chariots and servants, prepared to do a great many things he thought might be necessary in order to be cured.  A man whose self-perception of greatness was not even acknowledged by the prophet, who sent his servant instead, and rather than ask for anything he'd brought, rather than manifest his power in ways Naaman thought necessary to be healed, instructed Naaman to bathe himself in an insignificant and filthy river close by. 

Would this have been difficult?  Certainly not.  But it wasn't what Naaman was expecting, what he thought would be necessary to cure him of an illness he'd borne helplessly for so long he had come to accept it. 

The thing is, God knew the desire of Naaman's heart, and worked things out so at some point a band of raiders would raid a certain village, taking a particular girl captive, so she could wind up serving Naaman's wife.  He worked things out so Naaman had a good boss who granted him time off and gave him a referral letter.  And He knew Naaman well enough that He gave Naaman a servant who could challenge him when Naaman faltered.  God did ALL of this for Naaman, so Naaman wouldn't have to do any of it.  All He asked of Naaman was that he be willing to "wash and be cleansed".

The Naaman story strikes me at my very core.  Those of you who know me know I am a doer, a fixer.  I like taking charting the course, because I think I know best how to get to where I want to go.  Naaman reminds me how arrogant that is; how God had been charting the course long before I knew travel was required, and the best I can do is listen, trust and obey, even when HIs ways differ from mine.  

Father, when I think it is up to me to decide what difficult thing needs to be done, remind me of Naaman's story.  Remind me that You have all things in hand; You break the bow, shatter the spear and burn the shields with fire because I have no need of them, nor am I to rely on them.  Teach me to be still, and to know that You are God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment