Sunday, April 9, 2017

April 8: Of Failure and Kirsten Dunst

Deuteronomy 32:28-52
Luke 12:35-59
Psalm 78:56-64
Proverbs 12:24


Deuteronomy 32:36
The Lord will vindicate his people 
   and relent concerning his servants 
when he sees their strength is gone 
   and no one is left, slave or free.

Sometimes this is what it takes - for us to be utterly helpless, without strength; overwhelmed by our circumstances, to realize what was true all along - that on our own, we fail.  I've heard so many stories of people who have come to know God intimately, and what it took to get there - the tragedy, the hurt, the loss.  Two observations: first, one would think that joy would be impossible following such devastation, but it is.  And second, the victory that was won never was because the person picked themselves up; it seems to have come after complete surrender. 

I want the victory.  I want the joy.  But as many who know me will attest, I am a the mixed metaphor of a pigheaded bull, insisting on charging blindly on my own strength.  It's what I do, what I've done all my life, despite the many instances I've come to recognize where God pushed me down a different path, and I was all the better for it [if interested, ask me about Harvard and my kids].  Maybe utter failure is what it will take for me to finally get to know Him the way, say, my parents and my pastor do.  Don't get me wrong - I'm scared of failure and loss.  But hey, if that's what it takes, I'm putting it on record: Father, Thy will be done. Or, as the Kirsten Dunst cheerleader movie put it, "Bring it on."


No comments:

Post a Comment