Monday, January 9, 2017

January 9th bible reading blog

We all are on different paths in our journey through life.  We are either going through, have gone through or will go through difficult times in our lives.  I am sure many who read that immediately thought of a tough situation they are currently swept up in.  It is a part of life.  We have up's and down's, high's and low's, laughter filled moments and sorrow filled ones as well.  What I see in today's reading is how our perspective and our recollection of the God we serve, not only can make a difference for how we hold up during those difficulties but how others do as well.
 
Both Hagar and Abraham find themselves on two different yet similar paths in life that they had not expected (Gen 21:8-20 & 22:1-19).  Both have their sons with them.  Both do not fully understand what is going on or why.  The stories become very different though when we look at the different ways they perceived and understood their situations.
 
Hagar was helpless and hopeless.   She was in the desert and had no more water and no idea what to do or where to go next.  I'm sure she didn't understand why this was happening to her and her son. The God who had seen her the last time she was lost in the desert was forgotten by her (Gen 16:6-15).   She chose instead to hold her misery close to her and in it felt lost and alone.  She put her son under a bush and walked away from him because she couldn't bear to see him die.   In complete despair she began to sob for her seemingly hopeless situation.  Her son, alone under the bush began to cry as well.  His mother's hopelessness blanketed him but brought no comfort to him at all.
 
On the contrary, Abraham was full of hope and confidence (not in himself but the Lord).  I don't think this was a hope that was filled with singing and dancing and lots of laughter.  God had Abraham on a path that I believe Abraham felt blind on.  He, in his human understanding could not make sense of what he had been asked to do.  It had to be weighing on him heavily but not so heavy that it crushed his hope and confidence in the Lord.  The cause of his hope and confidence came from his knowledge, his remembrance of the God who was leading him on this path.  God had already shown Abraham, through the birth of Isaac, that nothing was impossible for the LORD.   Abraham was trusting in that God he knew to help him now.  The trust and hope that Abraham wore had to have come to rest on the shoulders of his son Isaac because we do not read that Isaac struggled when being bound, fought when being put on the alter, or cried out when the dagger was raised to kill him.
 
In both stories God was the same, Faithful.  He was indeed El Roi, the God Who Sees and in both stories He was indeed Jehovah Jireh, the God Who Provides.  God spoke to Hagar and opened her eyes to see a well with water and then spoke hope into her life for her and her son.  God spoke to Abraham and showed him the ram caught in the thorns and reassured Abraham that his trust and hope in the Lord is always how to live.
 
In life I all too often fail to have the hope and trust of Abraham.  I act way too much like Hagar.  I lean on my own understand of life's situations and I get discouraged.  I can feel as if God has forgotten or as if I'm just not worthy of His grace.  I fail to remember all the ways that God has shown me His faithfulness, His Love, His protection, and His provision.  What I realize even more from these two stories is how my faith or lack of faith can impact those around me.  I do believe that Hagar's despair did indeed aid Ishmaels.  I equally believe Abraham's trusting obedience gave Isaac the courage and hope to face that altar.
 
It is my prayer that during the path of struggle that God has me on, and for all future paths that await me, God will strengthen me and his Spirit remind me to hope in Him.  He has always been faithful, He has always provided (not always the way I had wanted but He has always provided), and He has always seen me through.  I want to be a beacon of light for others during my struggles.  I want them to be encouraged by the hope I have in the Lord.  I want others to feel the comfort of my obedient trust.   If we are faithless God remains faithful (2 Timothy 2:13), Hagar's story is proof of that.   My worry and fear doesn't dictate what God will or won't do it just prevents me from living in peace and being a light for Him and His goodness.  I prefer to be more like Abraham and to seek to remain faithful in my hope and trust of the lord.  I want to let go of my understanding and fears and rest in who God is, trust in who God is, and delight in who God is.  For when I am able to do that I believe, like Abraham and Isaac I will truly be living the life God desires for me, a faithful beacon of light to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment