Monday, January 16, 2017

January 14 (late): God provides (oh yes He does...)

Genesis 30:1-31:16
Matthew 10:1-23
Psalm 12:1-8
Proverbs 3:13-15

So I was looking forward to writing my blog reflection today, wondering all the while who it was who was supposed to have written Saturday's blog.  The I realized I'd asked to switch days - and I was now two days late!  My apologies...

The one thing that stands out to me in today's reading is this: God provides.  How do we know?  Well, He tells us he will, and then He simply does.  In the New Testament reading Jesus sends the apostles out on their own.  I contrast Jesus's provision with my experience going to high school, when my parents paid in advance for me to attend school, sent me somewhere where the people supported my efforts, and even bought me a vacuum-sealed lunch box that allowed me a packed, hot lunch of meat, rice, soup and vegetables each day.  

Not so Jesus.  He tells them to go to "the lost sheep of Israel"; and He sends them off without provision - no gold, silver or copper, no bag or shirt or sandals.  Implicit in His instructions is the command to trust that what they need will be provided.  

And in the OT reading, we see that God DOES provide.  Have you started a new job without knowing how much you were going to be paid, or even how you might figure out how much you'd make tor the amount of work you put in?  I didn't think so.  Jacob does, though.  Consider: rather than in cash, he asks to take payment in kind...and then sets terms that make it difficult to know what he is going to make, even more difficult to believe he is going to make enough to support his two wives.  It seems his only interest is in making sure his employer knows he is being honest.  And yet, as crazy as Jacob's little compensation program seems, God provides - and does so ABUNDANTLY.  And this despite a somewhat shady employer, who happens to be his father in law.  

One final thing, though - in both instances, I believe God provides because Jacob and the apostles set out to do God's will.  Jacob's interest was obedience, in taking wives where his parents wanted him to take them (remember how his brother took wives because they would tick off his parents?) and in honesty, not in his self enrichment.  And the disciples interest was in obedience to Jesus.  

Father, You've told us often enough, but it is still a difficult lesson to learn, a difficult way to live, so please continue to teach us to focus on doing Your will, confident that You will provide.  

No comments:

Post a Comment