Monday, March 28, 2016

March 28: Of Love, Awe, and Lying Prostrate.

Deuteronomy 9:1-10:22
Luke 8:4-21
Psalm 69:19-36
Proverbs 12:2-3

What a relationship Moses must have had with God.  I'm trying to think of anyone else who might've been as close to Our Father apart from His Son, and I can't really think of anyone.  Abraham, Noah, David, Solomon - they all seem to have brief, clear conversations with God.  But Moses - Moses had long, ongoing conversations with God.  In Deuteronomy 9:9, we are reminded that Moses hung out with God for 40 days and 40 nights - no food or water.  So I did some research - so much easier these days on the internet - and found man can live without food 21 days, without water a week.  If that's the case, then Moses must have really been tight with our Father, in order for him to have survived that long - because he could NOT have done it on his own.  And he didn't do it just once.  

How good a relationship did he have with God?  He could get God to change His mind.  God wanted to punish the Israelites for their infidelity during Moses's absence; God wanted to punish Aaron for his part in the infidelity.  But Moses was so close to God he was able to persuade Him to stay His righteous anger.  

I'm trying to think of the longest I've been able to sit still.   I remember I have been able to sit quietly for a prolonged period at least thrice - each time, when I had my newborn child lying, sleeping on my chest.  And I couldn't move for fear of disturbing little Sophia, little Christian or little Thomas, for fear of waking the baby I loved; and I couldn't move, in awe of the little person with whom I had just begun a relationship.  I was completely in the moment, full of love and awe - that's why I could stay still with them.

I want that love and awe in my relationship with God.  I don't know if I will ever be able to lie still for 40 days and 40 nights like Moses did, but I would be grateful to know Him better, and consequently love Him and live in awe of Him much more.  


No comments:

Post a Comment