Sunday, November 16, 2014

Saturday 11/15/14

Saturday, November 15, 2014

As a face is reflected in water, so the heart reflects the real person. (Proverbs 27:19, NLT)

Who are you?  This can be a sobering question if we ask it of ourselves and have the courage to take off the mask. This is not a question of "who you think you should be" or "who you used to be and how much better are you now." This questions begs us to be honest and take inventory of ourselves.  Amazingly, the answer resides in our hearts. What are the longings and desires that you have? What makes you tick? What frustrates you and why?

One thing God has been teaching me lately is that how I see myself treating people is how I treat Him.  I used to think that the two could be separated, but they cannot. I can't be soft and obedient to God and have a hardened unforgiving heart toward a sister or brother.  I would venture to say that I'm not the only one that this applies to. John even says, "Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister" (1 John 4:20).  So what are we to do? How do we know ourselves?

"Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life."  Keep, guard, and watch carefully your heart.    To not do this is to sweep your feelings under a rug. You can only do this but so much before you start tripping over the lump in the rug!  So, we ask ourselves hard questions in the presence of God:

Why did I react that way? 
What am I afraid of? 
Is there more to why my attitude is like this today? 

These kinds of questions get to the "heart of the matter."  Praying through the answers is where we encounter the Truth - Jesus - and we find the freedom to freely live (John 14:6; 8:32).

Lord, help us to humbly and honestly guard our hearts well that we would live for you, and with one another, in true freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment