Monday, November 10, 2014

November 10: It's not first about the rules, it's first about the relationship

Ezekiel 21:1-22:31
Hebrews 10:1-18
Psalm 108:1-13
Proverbs 27:12

Reading the NT passages today, I was reminded of Martha and Mary in the phrase "sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them"...and then later "Here I am, I have come to do your will."Martha offered the sacrifice of her work; she was busy cooking and cleaning and making their home ready to receive Jesus - most certainly in accordance with the customs of hospitality at the time.  Mary, on the other hand, chose to sit at Jesus's feet and listen to His words.

It's funny how much I still struggle with the rules I learned in my youth, that we had to justify ourselves before God with good works, with the various sacraments, including penance.  And it is frustrating just how much time I waste on all that, when what is asked of us would seem to me to be, ultimately, relationship: "love God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength...and love your neighbor as you love yourself". 

The interesting thing is how this looks from the other side: today is my youngest son's birthday, and it just occurred to me the concept of "relationship before rules" makes sense from the standpoint of an earthly father looking upon his earthly son just as much as an earthly son looking up at his heavenly Father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment