Sunday, November 30, 2014

December 1: We have met the enemy, and he is us...

Daniel 8:1-27
1 John 2:1-17
Psalm 120:1-7
Proverbs 28:25-26

"I call on the Lord in my distress,
     and He answers me.
 Save me, Lord,
     from lying lips
     and from deceitful tongues."

It is so easy to read the psalmist's words and think of all the people who have hurt us, with their "lying lips" and "deceitful tongues".  And yet it is somewhat enlightening to realize that, often, the person whose lying lips and deceitful tongue hurts us the most, is ourself.  When I think about the distress I've experienced, while a lot of it resulted from what other people did, so much more of it was a result of what I did - the lies I told myself to rationalize sinful behavior, the deceit I permitted myself to think I wasn't necessarily hurting anyone, so I wasn't really doing anything wrong.  

See, the thing is, when I sin, I find I rarely do it without recognizing the sin; I do so likely having rationalized it somehow, in order to be able to gratify myself and make it seem right.  "Everyone's doing it - how bad could it really be?" or "I'm sure God didn't mean THIS particular situation" or even "Just this once - and never again."  As I think about this now, I realize that all this was a means to justify putting myself ahead of God - and was reflective of the quality of my relationship with Him. 

It's that relationship that John writes about - the one that involves something I've mentioned in the past: "transformative knowledge".  When my relationship with God is in right order, then I keep His commands - not because they justify me before Him, but because I want to.  Obedience to Him, putting Him first, putting my brother and sister first - all this is a result not of my own strength and effort, but of being in right relationship with Him.  It comes naturally - sort of like how, before I fell in love with my wife, I was quite happy to go on long business trips; and now, I would like nothing more than to be at home with her and the kids.  

Still, I struggle with sinfulness.  How wonderful, therefore, to read John's reassurances: "But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father - Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.  He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours, but also for the sins of the whole world."

It is because of HIs sacrifice that, despite my sinfulness, I can "call on the Lord in my distress, and He answers me."  Thank You, Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment