Thursday, October 30, 2014

Thursday, October 30

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2014

Lamentations 2:19–3:66

Hebrews 1:1–14

Psalm 102:1–28

Proverbs 26:21,22

 

 

“Yet this I call to mind

    and therefore I have hope:

 

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,

    for his compassions [mercies] never fail.

They are new every morning;

    great is your faithfulness.

I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my portion;

    therefore I will wait for him.’” (Lamentations 3:21–24)

 

 

Like Asaph, the writer of Psalm 73, Jeremiah turns his heart to remembering God’s presence and closeness (immanence, most notably in Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit), even in the midst of his legitimate weeping and frustration.  Jeremiah knew that he would not be abandoned because of God’s commitment to His own characteristic lovingkindness.

 

Recently, in studying Jerry Bridges’s Trusting God, our group found great encouragement in recognizing that, for those who have trusted Christ as Savior and exalted Him as Lord, God’s love remains constant.  Once we have become born anew “in Christ,” the Son of God’s presence ensures a faithful, unwavering love from God.  While we may tarnish our relationship in the short term with sinful behavior, God has called us His children, indicating an ongoing relationship.  Jesus explained this permanence in John 10:27–30:  “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.  My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.  I and the Father are one.”

 

While the author of Hebrews spends significant time highlighting the all-sufficiency of Christ as High Priest, we also receive assurances of God’s close connection to us:  “Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess.  For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are — yet he did not sin.  Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” (Hebrews 4:14–16)

 

Jeremiah provides a profitable lesson for all believers:  as we consider God’s love and sovereignty, we find joy and freedom.  His greatness will surpass any of our problems.  He is always consistently good, and He is worthy of all our praise.  For what may you praise Him today?

 

I confess that taking this active control over our thoughts does not come naturally to me.  I find my mind focusing on problems and prospective solutions, and I don’t immediately turn to prayer and trust.  In His goodness, God leads us into situations that will stretch us.  Most importantly, I simply want to know God better and to see Him fully exalted in my heart and my life. 

 

Perhaps you would like to join in this prayer:

 

Come, Lord Jesus, and be glorified in me.  I know that I fall woefully short of Your example, but You deserve the throne of my life.  Take it, and bring honor to Your Name.  Cast away my faulty images of Your unconcern or powerlessness over earthly difficulties.  Destroy the confusing, lying work of Satan to corrupt my mind with worries and agitations.  Bring peace and joy to my heart and mind, so that I may focus on loving and serving You.  You are awesome and worthy of all praise, honor, and glory.  In Your Name, amen.

 

 

“Great Is Thy Faithfulness”:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1WhFtVp0o


________________________________________
1) Blog:                  http://bit.ly/rV1Cw1

2) Facebook:        http://on.fb.me/tc6jkS

No comments:

Post a Comment