Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday August 6th

Sometimes I fail to really ponder all that Christ did for me when he suffered and died on the cross. 
Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."                 Matthew 26:39
It really wasn't until today's reading in Jeremiah 25:15-38 that I realized the magnitude of what it was that Christ was praying in the garden that night over 2000 years ago.
In Jeremiah we read that the cup of God's wrath was literally being passed to those who had chosen to live a life of wickedness and sin.  A life in opposition and rebellion to God.  A life void of obedience to his word: his laws and commands.  They had no choice but to drink, as God's wrath was imminent, ready to be poured out on the people of the earth (Jer 25:30-38)
This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, said to me: "Take from my hand this cup filled with the wine of my wrath and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it.  When they drink it, they will stagger and go mad because of the sword I will send among them."  Jeremiah 25:15-16
That is when it hit me. This is the cup that I was to drink before a new one was poured out for me.  This cup of wrath was meant for me not for Christ.  It was filled for my destruction because of my rebellion and sin.  But, because God so loved the world (you and I) he gave his one and only son to drink of this cup (of wrath) in my place (in your place).  He gave me (and you) another cup to drink from if I  (we) trust him and believe in him: the cup of forgiveness and mercy so that we could be spared his wrath and death and have eternal life (John 3:16 with my spin added to it).
Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.  (Jesus speaking to his disciples and ultimately to us) Matthew 26:27
When we drink of the communion cup it is not just acknowledging what Christ did on the cross.  When we drink that cup we should lift up abundant thanks to our God who spared us the cup of wrath by having his son drink it for us.  In return, through grace (not deserving it in any way shape or form) we get to drink of the sweet cup of forgiveness and bask in the mercy that has been shown to us.
What a truly gracious God I have that loved me so much more then I can possibly fathom.
Thank you Lord for submitting to your father's will and for drinking my cup of wrath so that I could partake in the healing, quenching cup of forgiveness.  No words can truly express my gratitude but my heart is overwhelmed with thanks at the magnitude of this precious gift.  Thank You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment