Sunday, August 5, 2012

August 4: Jeremiah 46,47

(Posted on behalf of Jon Lanuza)

Jeremiah 46, 47

 

Finally the Lord punishes Israel's oppressor...yet it is interesting that (1) He does not eradicate Egypt completely - "'Later, however, Egypt will be inhabited as in times past' declares the Lord."  He seems unprepared to condemn Egypt eternally for its sinfulness.  And (2) the instrument of His judgement is yet another sinful nation, perhaps an even more sinful one - Babylon. 

 

As I reflect on this I am reminded of the times I was discouraged seeing people prosper despite their sinfulness, sometimes because of their sinfulness; of all the times I was dismayed by the success and prosperity of people whom I knew to be corrupt, whom I knew were breaking the law, whom I knew thought nothing of the means by which they were achieving the success others could only dream of, but would never enjoy, others who played by the rules, even better others who were close to the Lord and walked in His ways.

 

And then I read the reassurance - "'Do not fear...do not be dismayed...I will surely save you out of a distant place, your descendants from the land of their exile.  Jacob will again have peace and security, and no one will make him afraid.  Do not fear, O Jacob my servant, for I am with you' declares the Lord..."I will not completely destroy you.  I will discipline you but only with justice; I will not let you go entirely unpunished."  And then I realize, what God permits others really should not matter to me - far more important the state of my relationship with God, and His willingness to forgive me, to discipline me with justice by not letting me go entirely unpunished for my own sinfulness.  And whomever He chooses to use, however He chooses to use them, is up to Him, for He knows best.  If He wants to use a sinner, a Babylon, to put me in situations that will ultimately reconcile me back to Him, then I thank Him for the persistence of His mercy, and the perfection of His wisdom, a wisdom that allows Him to use the imperfect to put me back on the path to His perfection.  And I beg Him the grace to permit this exile to survive until he is permitted to return home.


________________________________________
1) Blog:      http://bit.ly/rV1Cw1

2) Facebook:  http://on.fb.me/tc6jkS

No comments:

Post a Comment