Saturday, August 25, 2012

Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday, August 24, 2012

"The days are coming," declares the LORD,
"when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to them,"
declares the LORD.
"This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time," declares the LORD.
"I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, 'Know the LORD,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,"
declares the LORD.
"For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more." (Jeremiah 31:31-34)

These verses are repeated by the author of the book of Hebrews in the
New Testament. In the first covenant or old covenant, the people
promised to keep all the commandments of God, so as to be worthy of a
place in His kingdom. Each person had to achieve righteousness on
their own. I'm sure you all like me can attest that living up to
God's standard of holiness is completely impossible. Thankfully, "what
is impossible with man is possible with God," (Luke 18:27) because I
can't go a day without sinning. In the second covenant or new
covenant, God created a way for us to achieve His perfect
righteousness. That way is by faith in His Son Christ Jesus. In the
new covenant:

1. God achieved the righteousness demanded in the old covenant by way
of His Son. Only God Himself could fulfill His own laws.
2. Through faith in the spotless one, we can also be seen as spotless.
Let's face it, we all have faults. The only way that God can see us
faultless, is through the eyes of His Son.
3. Belief in Jesus Christ allows the filling of the Holy Spirit. When
the Holy Spirit dwells within you, God's laws are written on your
heart. The Holy Spirit creates not only a repentant heart, but a
desire to obey God's laws.
4. Repentance and obedience builds a strong personal relationship with
God. In this relationship, we experience God's grace, His
incomprehensible love and forgiveness daily.
5. A strong personal relationship with Jesus Christ guarantees a
joy-filled life, peace amidst trials, and eternal satisfaction.
6. The satisfaction found in the love of Christ compels believers to
share their hope in Christ with others.

It is obvious from the reading that Jeremiah longed to have what we
have today in Christ and the New Covenant. Let's enjoy this day, a day
that many before us longed to see.

God Bless,
Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment