Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday, June 22, 2012 - Pride, Humility, and God's Grace

Friday, June 22, 2012
Pride, Humility, and God's Grace

In the last part of today's reading, we witness the fall of Uzziah
(also known as Azariah). How could this happen? He has been perhaps
the greatest king (of Judah/Southern Israeli Kingdom) since Solomon,
with the exception of Jehoshaphat. If you recall, Uzziah's
accomplishments were many; took the throne at age sixteen and reigned
for fifty-two years; under the influence of the prophet Zechariah, he
was faithful to God, and "did what was right in the eyes of the Lord"
(2 Kings 15:3); fortified the defenses of Jerusalem; Ammonites
esteemed him; fame spread all the way to Egypt, because he had become
very powerful. Unfortunately his fame birthed pride, which led to his
downfall. Remember Proverbs 16:18, "Pride goes before destruction, a
haughty spirit before a fall."

In the end, Uzziah thought himself great enough to break God's
command. He "entered the temple of the Lord to burn incense on the
altar of incense" (2 Chron. 26:16). The priests then confronted Uzziah
and confirmed this duty as their own; "that is for the priests, the
descendants of Aaron, who have been consecrated to burn incense" (2
Chron 26:18). Hearing this, Uzziah raged at the priests and was
immediately afflicted with leprosy.

During Old Testament times, if you had leprosy, it didn't matter who
you were, you were considered an outcast. King Uzziah spent the rest
of his days in isolation and could no longer enter the temple of the
Lord.

I must confess, in my short walk with the Lord I can count many times
already when my pride has led to rebuking from the Lord. I'm just
thankful that rebuking hasn't been leprosy. Most of the time, this
pride has manifested itself internally in my thoughts. It can be so
simple, yet so detrimental to my acknowledgement of God's greatness
and my place as His creation.

For instance, in my pride, I have thought myself to walk a better path
than others. This thought becomes detrimental when it leads me to
believing I'm better than someone else. When this happens, God's
presence comes on my heart and rebukes me. Immediately I burst into
tears because I feel God's holiness and my unholiness. I start
repenting and ask God to forgive me for my thinking that I'm better
than anybody. He reminds me that I'm his son and the person I may be
judging on my heart is also his son or daughter. He tells me that he
loves me and that person the same. I cry more because his unfailing
love is beyond my comprehension. He tells me to imitate his love and
to have his compassion.

I mean who am I really to even cast a stone in my thoughts? The Lord
God Almighty is the Holy One! We fall short of His holiness. Let's
remember that we're all sinners and should not cast a stone even in
our thoughts. Let's pray that we "take captive every thought to make
it obedient to Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5). Let's pray that God
"create in [us] a pure heart…and renew and steadfast spirit within
[us]" (Psalm 51:10). Let's not run a good race, but waiver in the end
like Uzziah. Finish strong and receive your crown. Regard highly what
the apostle Paul said:

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept
the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness,
which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day —and
not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing" (2
Timothy 4:7-8).

God Bless,
Anthony

PS: If you are in need of restoration, come to Grace tonight between
6:30 and 9:30 and receive restorative prayer. God wants to heal you
and reveal His plans for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment