Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March 27: 1 Samuel 3-7

1 Samuel 3-7
 
God calls Samuel.
 
Samuel is now a young boy and is under Eli's leadership in the temple. At this time, the word of the Lord was rare and there were not many visions (3:1) One night, God called out to Samuel. Thinking it was the priest who called him, he ran to Eli, but Eli told him to go lie down. This happened three times before Eli realized that is was God who was calling the boy. Samuel heard the voice of God call him and he answered. God choose him as His prophet to deliver His word to the Israelites and to carry out His commands.
 
God uses many different ways to speak to His people. He doesn't always use His audible voice to get His point across. He speaks to us when we read His word. He speaks to us through the beauty of nature. He speaks to us when we listen to music and sing praise to His name. He speaks to us by using other people as His voice. Recently, God spoke to me through my friend Chuck. Chuck told me about some advice he had given to a friend of his who was struggling. Once the conversation was over, Chuck didn't give a second thought to the words he had said to me. But I could not get them out of my mind. For days, it stuck with me because his words directly applied to a struggle of mine. Chuck had no idea at the time, but God was using him to tell me something I needed to hear and understand. Later, when I told how him much his words had impacted me, he had forgotten about the conversation. Isn't amazing how God can use another person to speak directly to us and they may not even be aware of it at the time?!
 
No matter how God communicates to us, our response should always be the same as Samuel's: "Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening."

No comments:

Post a Comment