Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March 21 Judges 10 – 12

March 21
Judges 10 – 12
 
We are in the time of the Judges…Israel keeps flip flopping back and forth to and from God.  These are some sticky chapters.  I was confident and excited when reading chapter 10, then the last part of ch 11 hit and I'm still feeling a little blah after reading about Jephthah's daughter and then the wars between tribes.  This really bothers me.  I wish I knew more answers. 
 
I do want to focus on a few things that I know.  I love reading and focusing in on God and His character.  He reveals Himself to us through His word, and I never want to lose sight of that.  The LORD is identified as "The Judge"  (or Ruler) in 11:27.  As I said above, this is the time of the Judges, or Rulers of Israel.  The people wanted leadership, just as they always had.   Ultimately, God is the final Judge.  I'm relieved to read that (most) of the Judges never lose sight of this.  Jephthah gave God the glory and sought His will and counsel.  He entered war with God on his side because He recognized God's almighty power and was blessed. 
 
As we continue our journey through the Bible, we will continue to get to know many messy people and how God uses them.  It's interesting how thousands of years ago, Jephthah was in a way, faced with situations that still exist today.  This man was born into dysfunction, his mother was a prostitute, and his half-siblings drove him away.  We know he was a "mighty warrior," but we can also see that in any day and age, he was not born into an ideal situation.  He had no inheritance, no family, and a stigma from birth…messy…but God still used him in a mighty way.   I know I'm a messy person…far from perfect.  I thank my God for His grace, His plan, and that He's in control, even when I don't understand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment