Wednesday, April 21, 2010

April 21

The Inner Conversation

We are told by the “experts” that we have 60,000 thoughts going through our minds each day. That works out to be 40 thoughts each minute. Now I can tell you from the way my mind works I must have an old model “T” version of a brain. But regardless of the sheer number, the truth is, the most important conversation we have each day is with ourselves.

David in these psalms is giving us an insight into the inner conversation in his mind.

-My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught.
-My heart is in anguish within me.
-Fear and trembling have beset me.
-Why have you rejected me?
-Why are you downcast, O my soul?

What we do with these inner conversations, will for the most part,determine our outlook on life. So how do we bring health to our inner world? I would suggest we include God in the conversation. One of the verses today, said this about our God’s character, “Be still, and know that I am God.” God does not shout above our TV, he does not twitter, he does not interrupt us with emergency phone calls. God waits in the quiet. He waits for us to get quiet so we can hear him.

This is my biggest struggle in life, getting quiet before God. My heart is wired for performance and action. The idea of sitting quietly, of being alone, of meditation doesn’t appeal to me. Yet it is the only way for my heart to be open to God.

John Newton, the former slave trader and later pastor and author of Amazing Grace, had a plan to quiet his inner heart before God. Here are a few of the commitments Newton used to connect with God.

-To begin and every day with God.
-To peruse Scriptures with a diligence and attention suited to the dignity of the subject.
-To spend the Sabbath entirely with the Lord.
-To become all things to all men in order that I may save some.

Here is an inner thought for today. When was the last time you heard the voice of God? If it has been awhile you are probably just too busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment