Tuesday, April 13, 2010

April 13

2 Samuel 14, 15, 16, Psalm 3

David in exile.

The events of today's reading were nothing new to David. He was familiar with trials, hardships, betrayal, and heartaches. His turbulent relationship with his son Absalom was reconciled for a short time, then he betrayed his father again.

After all that David had been through, he was still able to put all his trust and hope in the Lord. How is it that someone who was running for his life because his son had betrayed him can still praise God? It's amazing that he wrote Psalm 3 despite his miserable circumstances. On Sunday, Chuck referred to James 1 ("Consider it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds") and explained the difference between happiness and joy. Happiness is dependent on your circumstances. Joy comes from within. Joy comes from God. The kind of joy God gives is not dependent on outside circumstances. So even though David's own son was trying to destroy him, it was still possible for him to have joy because God was on his side. This is extremely obvious when we read Psalm 3.

Remember the next time you faces trials of many kinds, that pure joy comes from God.

O LORD,
how many are my foes!
How many rise up against me!
Many are saying of me,
"God will not deliver him."
Selah
But you are a shield around me, O LORD;
you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.
To the LORD I cry aloud,
and he answers me from his holy hill.
Selah
I lie down and sleep;
I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.
I will not fear the tens of
thousands
drawn up against me on every side.
Arise, O LORD!
Deliver me, O my God!
Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
break the teeth of the wicked.
From the LORD comes deliverance.
May your blessing be on your people.
Selah

No comments:

Post a Comment