Monday, November 30, 2009

November 30

How to Fireproof Your House

1 Cor. 3:11-15 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

We live in an excuse oriented society. Very few people take responsibility anymore for their actions. We have become experts at giving alibis and excuses. Here are a few of the alibis given to two insurance companies relating to car accidents people were involved with.

1. The telephone pole was approaching. I was attempting to swerve out of the way when it struck my front end.
2. The guy was all over the road. I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him.
3. I was on my way to the doctor with rear end trouble when my universe joint gave way, causing me to have an accident.
4. I had been shopping for plants all day and was on my way home. As I reached an intersection, a hedge sprung up, obscuring my vision.
5. I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in-law and headed over the embankment.
6. An invisible car came out of nowhere, stuck my vehicle and vanished.
7. A pedestrian hit me and went under my car.
8. The pedestrian had no idea which direction to go, so I ran over him.

From our reading today it is clear that we will stand before our Creator and give an account our building. In the analogy used by Paul he says every one of us is constructing a building in our lives. What is critical is the foundation of that building. If it is anything other than Jesus Christ it will not withstand the coming fire. The fire will determine the quality of each persons building materials. There are 6 types of building materials mentioned here... gold, silver, costly stone, wood, hay or straw. We determine what material we build with. The issue is quality not quantity.
One day when we pass from this life we will have to face a fire. This fire will test the material we have used to build our lives.

To make sure you can fireproof your house make certain you are building with materials that will endure for all eternity.

As C. S. Lewis said, “That which does not count for eternity is eternally useless.”

No comments:

Post a Comment