Sunday, November 15, 2009

November 15: John 15 to 17

"Then Jesus' disciples said, 'Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone asky you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.'" (John 16:29,30)

Today's passage records Jesus's final words of preparation for His sometimes confused and likely trepidatious followers. Not yet fully aware of what might transpire surrounding Jesus's "going away," they had previously shown confidence that they would not fall away during Jesus's upcoming trial. Jesus's words reflect on the function and ongoing work of the Body of Christ, the church, after His death and resurrection.

We may several things regarding God's plan to use fallen people as a vehicle for His truth:
1. The plan was risky. People are fickle, and their enthusiasm can wane.
2. He might have chosen a more organized, powerful group than the specific disciples.
3. Still, it is clear that God can equip His followers to fulfill the Great Commission of making disciples. As Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 3:4-6: " Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant — not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."


As one might expect, Jesus's words hold a special gravity given the nature of the transition. We can take away several key teachings that guide our daily walk with Christ to this day:

1. Without a strong connection to Christ, we will not produce fruit. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." (15:5) We must remain connected to Christ through His Word and prayer. It requires our choosing to be bound to Him. Then, God will "prune" us so that we may become more fruitful. (Hebrews 12:4-13)

2. There will be struggles, but...
a. The believers' faithfulness will bring glory to God. Jesus points out that it "is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples," in spite of persecution (15:8).
b. The believers' love for one another will sustain the church. "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (15:8-13) Jesus then prays that the believers "be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." (17:23)
This type of love would sustain even the weak. Over the long run, self-sacrificing love has its source and strength in God Himself. The church, through caring for one another in difficult times, would bear witness to God's loving character and would encourage one another to keep going: "But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first." (Hebrews 3:13,14)
c. The coming persecution will reveal the world's hearts. Jesus explains that, "if the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you." (15:18,19) We often take rejection in evangelism or the possibility thereof personally; instead, we may view people's reactions to our faith as a rejection of God Himself.
d. The Holy Spirit will empower the church. As Christ promised earlier, the Holy Spirit would guide the church into all truth. (As we consider difficult situations, what we require is not more knowledge, but more of God's wisdom.) In Chapter 16, we hear Jesus explaining that the Holy Spirit will both 1) "convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment" and 2) "bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you." The church would not fly alone. The Holy Spirit would be poured out and would empower, guide, and direct those seeking to honor Jesus.
 
3. In His high priestly prayer (17:1-23), we find:
a. The vehicle of eternal life. "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." (17:3)
b. The humble example of the Suffering Servant. "Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them." (17:25,26)
c. The source of all truth and the destination of rightfully directed glory: God Himself. "Father, glorif
 
QUESTIONS
1. How can you cling more to the Vine this week?
2. How can you reflect on God's eternal plan to bring recognition of complete joy, even during times of trial?

No comments:

Post a Comment