Wednesday, September 30, 2009

September 30

The Pathway to God in Psalm 116

In our Psalm today we see the pathway to a relationship with God. This is a pathway most of us try to avoid in life but it is the only way to find our Savior. You will not find this pathway being championed on the Jerry Springer show today.

1. We must become hopeless and helpless.
Vs 3,4 I was overcome by trouble and sorrow. Then I called on the name of the Lord:
"O Lord, save me!"
We will only turn to God when we are out of options to save ourselves. It is in our despair that we find our Savior. If everything is great in life and we find ourselves living in the lap of comfort we will not turn to God.

2. We must pray.
Vs 1, 2 I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy.
Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.
A weak prayer life reveals who we are really trusting.

3. We must have a childlike faith that God is there and he keeps his promises.
Vs 6 The Lord protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me.
This is not complicated it does take a step of faith. We must believe what God has revealed about our condition and our need.

4. We must rest in our decision.
Vs 7, 10 Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you.
I believed; therefore I said, “I am greatly afflicted." And in my dismay I said,
"All men are liars."
Victory is found by resting in our faith decision and continuing to believe even as we face the valley of the shadow of death. Vs 15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.

Nine questions to ask yourself to make sure you are on the right pathway:

a. What is the goal of your life.... comfort or knowing God?
b. What do you need to happen in your life to have peace and satisfaction?
c. Have you ever thought there was something missing from your life?
d. What do you think that missing piece is?
e. Where do you turn to when you feel down and empty?
f. Are there any activities that help deaden the pain in your life?
g. Does your strategy take away the pain temporarily or permanently?
h. What do you think this pain is you feel in your heart?
i. Do you have the courage to do it God’s way?

No comments:

Post a Comment