Monday, September 21, 2009

September 21

We read 3 stories today:

1. Belshazzar's would not humble himself.
The prophet Daniel interpreted King Belshazzar's vision of a finger writing on the wall as a prediction that the king's reign is coming to an end. The prediction was fulfilled that same night when Belshazzar was assassinated.

Belshazzar had not learned a lesson from his father's life. God had caused Nebuchadnezzar to go mad for a period of time in order to humble him. After this Nebuchadnezzar had declared God as the Most High God. But even knowing this, his son Belshazzar had made his own choice not to honor God:

"But you his son, O Belshazzar, have not humbled yourself, though you knew all this. Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven." (Dan 5:22-23)

2. Daniel’s prayer of repentance for himself and Israel
Daniel however does humble himself. After reading God's word in scripture, he was compelled to confess the sins of his people:

"Lord, you are righteous, but this day we are covered with shame—the men of Judah and people of Jerusalem and all Israel, both near and far, in all the countries where you have scattered us because of our unfaithfulness to you. O LORD, we and our kings, our princes and our fathers are covered with shame because we have sinned against you. (Dan 9:7-8)

How sweet this must have sounded to God! His children are recognizing their sin and turning to Him for forgiveness and help.

Last week God humbled me by exposing to me my unbelief. I had rationalized in my head why I should not bring up religious topics with a certain person. I made myself a list of reasons. Well, what happened is that it was the person who started the topic. We had a great conversation about faith. I found out that God has been working in that person's life much more than I had imagined. I felt ashamed and had to confess to God that I had not been willing to share His gospel because of a certain fear. After that however, I felt peace and freedom from seeing how great God is and that He is in full control. I was reminded that confession brings intimacy in our relationship with God.

Is there something you would like to confess to Him, small or great?

3. Answer to Daniel’s prayer - The Seventy "Sevens"
What a great outcome of Daniel's confession and prayer! While still praying, the angel Gabriel appeared to him and delivered an assurance from God for the coming of the Messiah:

"Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy. "Know and understand this: From the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there will be seven 'sevens,' and sixty-two 'sevens.' (Dan 9: 24-25)

Although the decree of seventy "sevens" is a mystery to me, what I understand from it is that God is purposeful in all He does, including in every circumstance and in every conversation.

Have a great week in His purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment