Saturday, August 29, 2009

August 29

Today is accountability day ... send me an email informing me what day you are on.

Brokenness and Growth

Lamentations is a book of brokenness. It is written in the wake of the total destruction of the nation of Israel.
At this moment, had we been Jeremiah, we might have been tempted to think that God had totally abandoned the nation, but that would not be true, God had to break the nation so he could tame them back into a relationship. He was going to break them to give them hope. That principle of hope out of brokenness is true for nations as well as individuals. Brokenness is the first step of God in growth. In the state of brokenness we tend to ask the questions that are avoided during blue sky days.
The key issue of “why this brokenness” was addressed by Jeremiah in Chapter 1 verse 14

“My sins have been bound into a yoke; by his hands they were woven together.
They have come upon my neck and the Lord has sapped my strength.
He has handed me over to those I cannot withstand.

It was disobedience that caused this brokenness. But the journey through brokenness begins when we realize that God has “woven” the yoke to accomplish his purposes. The ultimate goal of God again is to help us experience Him more fully.

Times of personal brokenness come in many different flavors. For some it takes a shattered marriage, the loss of a loved one, a failed job, or ruined finances. For others the discovery of cancer or an emotional collapse may trigger a season of brokenness. God can use any of these episodes to tame our souls. The source of the situation is not nearly as important as how we respond to it. Although the circumstances may be diverse, the divine goal is very simple—brokenness.
Perhaps the best description of brokenness is the biblical analogy of pruning. John 15:2 says the Gardener cuts off dead branches that do not bear fruit. But the passage also says that He prunes fruit bearing branches so they can be even more fruitful. When we think we are doing our best and yet experience setbacks, failures, and broken dreams, God may be pruning a fruitful branch to make it more effective.
Here are some questions to see if our souls are tamed. Here are a dozen questions to ask:
1. Am I willing to let go of my dreams and ambitions if it is God’s will?
2. Am I defensive when accused, criticized, or misunderstood?
3. Am I coveting what others have instead of waiting for heaven’s rewards?
4. Am I forgiving when offended, with or without an apology?
5. Am I complaining or arguing because of unsurrendered rights?
6. Am I thinking of others first out of love?
7. Am I proudly appearing to be always right or to know all the answers?
8. Am I practicing the spiritual disciplines (prayer, fasting, solitude, simplicity, etc.)?
9. Am I being silent regarding self-promotion and letting God do my public relations?
10. Am I daily saying, “God, whatever it takes, I’m willing to submit to Your leadership?”
11. Am I expressing joy in the difficulties that refine me?
12. Am I taking risks out of obedience to Christ instead of giving in to fear, pride, or denial?
If we’re lacking these attitudes, we may need further breaking—in the right place. It may also be a sign that we need to voluntarily surrender a part of our lives to Christ by periodically practicing one or more of the spiritual disciplines.
The beautiful thing about understanding brokenness is that we no longer need to fear it. This will not necessarily take away the pain. But it can help us manage it much better and even find joy in it, because we know it is not senseless. God “weaves” the yoke on us through these times for the purpose of creating new life, the life of a tamed soul. (credit Alan Nelson for the questions)

No comments:

Post a Comment