Sunday, August 16, 2009

August 16: Ezekiel 9-11

Today's passage features Ezekiel's prophecy of Judah's destruction but also a beautiful vision of true restoration. In this discussion of restoration, we can see the intimate hand of God in bringing people back to Himself and the grand newness of salvation.

The Lord delivers visions to Ezekiel in which He takes the prophet on a "field trip" to Jerusalem. In the first place, Ezekiel can observe the temple but understands how idol worship has marred what God had initially intended. Importantly, despite this idolatry, God has remained faithful to His place: "And there before me was the glory of the God of Israel, as in the vision I had seen in the plain." God had not abandoned His children, but they had replaced true worship with bowing down to idols (false gods).

The Lord issues three different levels of "detestable" visions, including an "idol of jealousy," seventy elders worshiping idols of animals, and a group of sun worshipers. The Israelites had borrowed many of these practices from surrounding nations, but one can sense that the hardness of their hearts drove them away from the Lord. In the case of the sun worship -- a typical Egyptian practice (Ra was the sun god) -- we read: "With their backs toward the temple of the LORD and their faces toward the east, they were bowing down to the son of the east." God righteously expresses His jealousy for the people. This jealousy is not a fickle jealousy of a jilted lover. Instead, as Creator and Sustainer of all that lives, God knows our hearts and the terrible consequences of turning our backs on Him. Such behavior should stir similar emotions within us as those of the women mourning for Tammuz.

Clearly, the leaders of Israel have failed to promote true worship. Their point of embarkation lay in their believing the lie that God had forsaken them and somehow departed from Israel. Often, a single lie will lead us to act in ways contrary to what our "heart of hearts" might encourage us to do. For example, were I to believe that I am unworthy of God's love, I might live a life much like the Judaizers (mentioned in Galatians), seeking to earn God's approval through my good works. Or, as another example, I might struggle in believing that God can fully provide for my needs; in response, I might try to take matters in my own hands and use whatever Machiavellian method needed to put food on the table.

The leaders in Israel's incredulity and forsaking of God drove Him from His throne, and the glory departed from the temple. The "Promised Land" truly became barren in the departure of God from His holy home. Ezekiel sees that God will bring judgment upon the idolaters in Jerusalem as part of His departure from the temple. Please note that God only selects "those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it" for His protection. Despite our perception of God's judgment, His purpose is to ultimately make His Name great: "You willl fall by the sword, and I will execute judgement on you at the borders of Israel. Then you will know that I am the LORD. This city will not be a pot for you, nor will you be the meat in it; I will execute judgement on you at the borders of Israel. And you will know that I am the LORD, for you have not followed my decrees or kepy my laws but have conformed to the standards of the nations around you."

After this grave judgment, however, God promises restoration, both physical and spiritual, for His people. First, He promises that:

"I will gather you from the nations and bring you back from the countries where you have been scattered, and I will give you back the land of Israel again.

"They will return to it and remove all its vile images and detestable idols. I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. Then they will follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. They will be my people, and I will be their God."
 
Only God Almighty could bring about such real change -- through the power of the Holy Spirit.
 

QUESTIONS

1. What lies might you believe that are keeping you from loving God more deeply? Where might they have come from?

2. Would you join me in praying for God's spiritual rebirth for our family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors?

No comments:

Post a Comment