Wednesday, December 18, 2019

December 18

Habakkuk

I enjoyed reading Habakkuk because of the dialogue he had going on with God. Habakkuk's prophecy was directed to a world that, through the eyes of God's people, must have seemed on the edge of disaster. The prophet initiated this conversation based on his distress about God's "inaction" in the world. He wanted to see God do something more, particularly in the area of justice for evildoers. Habakkuk seemed to be asking God some pretty reasonable questions, like "don't you see what's going on and what do you plan on doing about it"?. As I was reading it, I couldn't help but think about the world today.  I thought of friends who are facing tough times, or my own confusion when I see evil around me and my life is affected by decisions, some not of my own making. I'm not alone in this as we have all seen the evidence of evil in our lives. We've all been touched by it and we all bear scars even in the midst of various stages of healing.  However, the book of Habakkuk reminds us that no place is too dark and no wall too thick for God's grace to penetrate in a powerful way. As we continue to go through and reflect in this Advent season, I think it's important to remember that the central miracle of this season rests in the Incarnation. Every other work of God we see in our life prepares us for this or is a result of it. (C.S. Lewis) I pray the peace of Emmanuel rest in our homes, in our hearts and in our lives. Despite the confusion and the darkness around us, Jesus knows exactly what's going on and He is still on His throne. 


Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment