Monday, May 29, 2017

May 29th blog post

My Spiritual Flashlight


"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."  Psalm 119:105

Every year for the past 23 years my family has spent one week in July at Camp Spofford.  We stay in the same accommodations; Tentel 5.  There are no bathrooms in a Tentel (they are like giant wooden tents).  You have to walk down a bumpy path to get to the ones that are shared by all the Tentel guests.  During the day this is easy but at night, in the middle of the night, the path is dark.  I know the direction I need to take to get there but without a flashlight it is dark and I have a little fear of the dark and what might linger within it.  I also can not see the roots along the path, the rocks, the divots, the trees, and obstacles that are ready to trip me up as I journey to the bathroom.  I know they are there, after all I have walked this path for 23 years but it doesn't mean that in the darkness I can't be tripped.  Our flashlights are one of the first and most important things we remember to bring with us.

Recently God has put a heavy longing in my heart to get back to and walk the path to Joy.  I know where it is and I know I have walked the path at different times in my life but I have allowed struggles, trials, and a host of different things to darken the path.  I have scratches and bruises on my heart from storms in my life that have knocked me down on the path to Joy.  Psalm 119:105 is a reminder that I tend to forget to use my spiritual flashlight on my journey.  God's word is meant to be my source of light that helps me to navigate past the hurdles that can knock me down and steal my joy.  I must daily pray and seek God and ask him to use his word to fill my heart with his truths, promises and hope that will light my heart and mind and lead me to the joy of the Lord, the place I so very desperately desire to dwell.  His word needs to always be the first and most important part of my day, it will make all the difference when the unexpected pops up along the path, it will help keep me steady and moving forward to the place I need and long to dwell.

Whatever your journey, whatever your path, don't forget that you were not meant to walk it in the darkness of the unknown or unaided.  You were meant to walk it with the hope that God's word brings, with the guidance and direction he gives us.  Let God's word guide you and lead you each and every day.  If you feel lost the lord is ready to be your light.  If you aren't sure how to do this then I'd be happy to talk to you more about what I am learning and to pray with you, just send me an email.  Sometimes the journey is easier when when we walk it together.

God bless you and may you each be filled with the abundant joy of the Lord. 


No comments:

Post a Comment