Saturday, November 28, 2015

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Saturday, November 28, 2015
[by Keesha Sullivan]

"Why should I be grateful? Tell me one thing the Lord has done for me" my friend said in a slightly serious tone with a hint of sarcasm. I replied, "You have a great job. You have a place to live. You…" Before I could finish naming off the many blessings that were in my friend's life, he looked at me incredulously and cut me off. "You're serious aren't you? I am the one that got my job. I am the one that works hard every day for the place that I live in. Everything that is good in my life I've had to work for. It wasn't given to me. You really believe that you have your job because God gave it to you?" I was so startled by the backlash I had caused that I could only nod, "Yes." He laughed and smiled "You seriously are something special. I totally don't get you, but I gotta run." I waved goodbye and smiled back and thought until next time.

I love my friend's honesty. He is always, always telling me exactly what he thinks and feels. He gives me insight into the way that many people think. Most non-Christians and many Christians feel as though the Lord has not helped them get anywhere. They feel as though they've had to do it all on their own. 

The same thing happened to King Nebuchadnezzar. In Daniel 5:18-20, it said, "18 "Your Majesty, the Most High God gave your father Nebuchadnezzar sovereignty and greatness and glory and splendor. 19 Because of the high position he gave him, all the nations and peoples of every language dreaded and feared him. Those the king wanted to put to death, he put to death; those he wanted to spare, he spared; those he wanted to promote, he promoted; and those he wanted to humble, he humbled. 20 But when his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride, he was deposed from his royal throne and stripped of his glory."

In other words, Nebuchadnezzar took credit for his sovereignty, greatness, glory, and splendor. He thought to himself and most likely told others that he worked hard for all these things. When he became arrogant and thought too highly of himself and all of the gifts God had given him, the Lord stripped him of everything. Nebuchadnezzar was driven away from the people that he ruled and given the mind of an animal. Nebuchadnezzar was humbled, so that he would remember to fear, honor, and glorify God. 

James 1:17 says, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." Our jobs, our family, our friends, our home, our clothes, our gadgets, our everything comes from the Lord almighty. He is the great and mighty Provider. In this season of life, I need to remember to thank God, because everything that I have is due to Him.

Lord, please help us to remember that you give every good and perfect gift. Help us to remember to keep our eyes on you and to think highly of You instead of ourselves. Thank You, Lord, for always being there with us and for us. Thank You for teaching us how to serve You and to be more thankful. We love You, Lord. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment