Saturday, November 21, 2015

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Saturday, November 21, 2015

[by Keesha Sullivan]


"Hey...Keesha?" cried my friend over the phone. "Hey!" I exclaimed slightly surprised. I hadn't spoken with this friend in years. She sounded frustrated and slightly disheveled. "Um...I need prayer. I know you pray, so I figured I'd call you," she explained in an exasperated tone. She went onto explain her situation. It was quite dire. My eyes welled up with tears. She was in trouble and desired to go to God. I couldn't believe my ears, but I was so happy. I knew that God would touch. I wasn't sure how or what He exactly would do, but I knew something would change.

When we are in serious trouble as people, many times no matter what we believe, we know that we need prayer. We know we need God; we need something bigger and more powerful than us. We realize that we can no longer handle the situation in our own power. It will only be by the grace of our Almighty God that we will come out on the other side.

In our reading from today in James 5:16, it says, "16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." By praying for one another, we get to see the hand of God move. The reason that a righteous person's prayer is powerful and effective is because they have a powerful and effective Father backing them. The righteous know that their righteousness comes from the blood of Jesus. They know the Source of every good and perfect gift.

Prayer brings comfort, peace, and it always brings change. Although the circumstance might not change in the way that we are quite looking for it to change, God intervenes and helps us. That day as I prayed with my friend she encountered the Holy Spirit. As we finished talking and praying, she exclaimed, "I already feel better. I feel so peaceful." God had brought about immediate change. I don't remember whether her exact prayer request was answered in the way she wanted, but I know that she came to me in tears and left with peace and joy.

Lord help us to pray more. Help us to remember that our prayers are powerful and effective because of what Jesus Christ did on the cross. We are covered in the blood of Jesus as we enter Your courts and come before Your throne. There is nothing that is too hard for You! Thank you, thank you, thank you for always being there. Thank You for always hearing our prayers and bringing about change. We love you so, so much! We are so grateful that no matter how bad our circumstances are that we can always go to You. Help us to remember to share that gift of prayer that You have given us with others. In Jesus' Name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment