Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Aug. 25

2 Corinthians 1:3

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 

Let's face it, we all either have or have had our share of "stuff".  Like Job, we have all turned to friends for comfort and or advise. But where does our help really come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.  (Psalm 121:2)  Paul's encouraging words tell us that God delivers us from peril and we set our hope on Him to continue to deliver us by our prayers (v. 10-11).  In turning to each other and keeping each other lifted in prayer we offer to others the comfort we ourselves have received from God.  I can't speak for any one else but there's something about hearing God's word spoken over me by one of my brothers or sisters that brings me peace and comforts my spirit. Trials of any kind are hard but Paul reminds us that "this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God" (v.9)  I can't give what I haven't received.  When I receive compassion and comfort from the power of the Holy Spirit through prayer, it becomes my turn to pass it along to someone who is hurting or in trouble.  Lord I pray that You continue to pour Your Spirit into us so that we can in turn comfort others in any trouble with the same comfort we've received from You.





Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment