Sunday, December 26, 2010

December 26: 1, 2, and 3 John

In John's Gospel, John describes himself as "the disciple whom Jesus loved." This moniker points to John's loving character, clearly a fruit of the Holy Spirit alive in His life. Despite this high calling, John did struggle (along with his brother James) with a desire to take the seat of supremacy (Mark 10:35). Yet, it is unsurprising that John focuses his first letter on love, both between God and man and between people.

Given the blizzard conditions here in Stamford, I would like to focus this short meditation on two concepts:

1) "As white as snow." 1 John 1:8-10: "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives." Confession involves agreeing with God that our sins are indeed real, while repentance involves turning away from the sin and towards God. God's forgiveness indeed comes as a free gift when we humbly admit our shortcomings. Let us all seek transformation in our lives for 2011, that God might be greatly glorified in us.

These words appear in several places, indicating the purity of Christ and the result of His atonement. David writes in Psalm 51:7: "Clean me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." Isaiah 1:18 promises that, for those who have trusted in Christ for forgiveness, "though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool."

2) "How deep (great) is the love the Father has lavished on us... " 1 John 3:1 declares: "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" In Ephesians 3:17b-19, Paul writes: "And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge — that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." By knowing the depth of this love, we are spurred to living graciously and seeking God's presence even more deeply.

Please consider the wonderful truth in this praise song as we close 2010:

"How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure --
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.

"How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away,
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory.

"Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders.
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers."

"It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished.

"I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom,
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection.

"Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart:
His wounds have paid my ransom."

No comments:

Post a Comment