Monday, September 27, 2010

Sept 27: Zechariah's visions

The introductory notes to today’s reading mention the theme of assurance behind the visions of Zechariah. We need assurance when we struggle, when we are in pain. When Israel was prosperous they didn’t need assurance, but a warning - God was warning them to be careful not to fall. When they did fall in sin, they needed instruction - God urged them to return to Him, to obey Him and to do good. Now when they are healing their wounds as a nation they need assurance. They need to know if they will ever see good days again. Will they rest and have peace? Will justice be served by God against their enemies? Does God still care for them? God answers them with a ‘Yes’ and with more: with a promise that their sin will be taken away.


If you are in pain or are low in spirit, for whatever circumstances, you too need assurance from God. Today He reminds us that we will rest again, we will have peace. I don’t understand God’s timings for my life, and probably the main point is not to. The point for me right now is that the Bible tells me that if I walk with God, He will bring me to rest and peace. That every situation would be remedied by God and that he will deliver me. Will it be tomorrow or in years to come? I’m not supposed to know how long it will take or how it will happen. I’m simply supposed to be still, trust and obey. Interesting enough, sometimes I find out that resting in the peace and love of God, turns out to be a deliverance in itself from my weariness, regardless the outcome of the circumstance.


Where do we start? Jesus said: Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.“ (Matthew 11:28)


If you are in need of assurance, know that God loves you and looks after you in every situation. If you are with Him, He will give you rest and peace. Once we accept His assurance, we are filled with hope and strength to continue the journey, not by our own power but by His Spirit. Our hearts get uplifted to praise God, be it with a song, or a smile, or a silent prayer.


Here are some verses of assurance from today’s reading:


"Therefore, this is what the LORD says: 'I will return to Jerusalem with mercy, and there my house will be rebuilt...” (Zech 1:16)

'Jerusalem will be a city without walls because of the great number of men and livestock in it. And I myself will be a wall of fire around it,' declares the LORD, 'and I will be its glory within.' (Zech 2:4-5)

Be still before the LORD, all mankind, because he has roused himself from his holy dwelling." (Zech 2:13)

"See, I have taken away your sin, and I will put rich garments on you." (Zech 3:4)

So he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty. "What are you, O mighty mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become level ground. Then he will bring out the capstone to shouts of 'God bless it! God bless it!' " (Zech 4:6-7)

Tell him this is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Here is the man whose name is the Branch, and he will branch out from his place and build the temple of the LORD. t is he who will build the temple of the LORD, and he will be clothed with majesty and will sit and rule on his throne. And he will be a priest on his throne. And there will be harmony between the two.' (Zech 6:12-13)


No comments:

Post a Comment