Sunday, August 22, 2010

August 22: Jeremiah's Prophecies During the Siege

Today's passage shares Jeremiah's speaking of God's Word during the well-deserved siege of Jerusalem. The people of both Israel and Judah had broken God's covenant and would receive just punishment for their unfaithfulness. Yet, in these moments of travail, we read of Jeremiah's words of hope for a restoration. Jeremiah does not offer false comfort like some other prophets; instead, he speaks of God's power to create a coming new day.

After telling Zedekiah of his personal captivity (per our chronological Bible), Jeremiah relays that life will indeed progress in the land of Israel: "House, fields, and vineyards will again be bought in this land." (32:15b) With that hope of another day in mind, Jeremiah declares his praise for God, despite the imminent destruction of the city that he undoubtedly loves:

"Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you. You show love to thousands but bring the punishment for the fathers' sins into the laps of their children after them. O great and powerful God, whose name is the LORD Almighty, great are your purposes and mighty are your deeds. Your eyes are open to all the ways of men; you reward everyone according to his conduct and as his deeds deserve. You performed miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt and have continued them to this day, both in Israel and among all mankind, and have gained the renown that is still yours. You brought your people Israel out of Egypt with signs and wonders, by a mighty hand and an outstretched arm and with great terror. You gave them this land you had sworn to give their forefathers, a land flowing with milk and honey. They came in and took possession of it, but they did not obey you or follow your law; they did not do what you commanded them to do. So you brought all this disaster upon them." (32:17-23)
 
In Jeremiah's praise, we may hear the voice of a true disciple. He speaks the truth of God's character and His deeds among the people. Have you recently found yourself in a period of disappointment or despair? Have you considered giving praise to God for His goodness? For His faithfulness? How might an outpouring of thankfulness change your attitude?

In addition, Jeremiah proclaims the promises of restoration. God encourages the people to: "Call to me, and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things that you do not know." He eagerly desires our fellowship with Him. Jeremiah then prophesies that this restoration will not merely be physical, but will involve a tremendous change of heart:

"I will surely gather them from all the lands where I banish them in my furious anger and great wrath; I will bring them back to this place and let them live in safety. They will be my people, and I will be their God. I will give them singleness of heart and action, so that they will always fear me for their own good and the good of their children after them. I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me. I will rejoice in doing them good and will assuredly plant them in this land with all my heart and soul." (36:36-41)

"Nevertheless, I will bring health and healing to it; I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security. I will bring Judah and Israel back from captivity and will rebuild them as they were before. I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me. Then this city will bring me renown, joy, praise and honor before all nations on earth that hear of all the good things I do for it; and they will be in awe and will tremble at the abundant prosperity and peace I provide for it." (33:6-9)

 
QUESTIONS

1. How do the promises of restoration relate to our hope as believers for a new heaven and new earth?

2. How could you praise God for His faithfulness today?

No comments:

Post a Comment