Monday, May 3, 2010

May 3 Psalm 119

Psalm 119 is all about God's word. It reminds us how to talk to God: we need to hear his word first. The Bible is relevant to our everyday life questions.

My comfort was shaken last week. All the things I've found security in other than in God showed their frailty. But how sweet it's to be reminded that God is all. Without Him we are lost, even if we don't see it at first. With Him we are are safe, in any trial. Whatever might fail in our lives, His love never will! By taking in God's word and living by it we stay with God.

50 My comfort in my suffering is this:
Your promise preserves my life.

92 If your law had not been my delight,
I would have perished in my affliction.

We also see that the palmist makes conscious effort to learn to delight in and love the word.

16 I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.

If there is something in God's word that we don't delight in, that we think is 'hard' or 'unfair' we should have a heart to heart talk with God. He is supposed to be our best friend, right? So, He will explain, He will in time convince us that He does give us only good things. The challenge is to grow to love and hence delight in God's word. Ultimately we love and delight in God.

27 Let me understand the teaching of your precepts;
then I will meditate on your wonders.

47 for I delight in your commands
because I love them.

58 I have sought your face with all my heart;

Psalm 119 is a great blueprint of how God's word becomes alive in our hearts and active in our lives. Could we go through this week knowing that:

89 Your word, O LORD, is eternal;
it stands firm in the heavens.
90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations;
you established the earth, and it endures.

No comments:

Post a Comment