Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 18

Proverbs on sharing and responding to wisdom.

Proverbs 9:7-9
Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult; whoever rebukes a wicked man incurs abuse.
Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you.
Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.

Do you ever get the feeling that God is speaking directly to you through the Scriptures. I hope that you have because it is an amazing and humbling experience. It's what this journey is all about. Like Scott said last week: it's not about reading the whole Bible in one year, it's about changing your heart.

Today, I had that feeling when I read the first part of today's passage on advice and rebuke. Proverbs 23:9 says Do not speak to a fool, for he will scorn the wisdom of your words. When I first read this, I thought don't bother giving words of wisdom to foolish people. They will not listen and it will be a waste of your time. As soon as I had that thought, I realized what God was trying to tell me. It's not a command to stay away from foolish people as I originally thought. It's a warning not to become a foolish person. If you scorn or ignore words of wisdom and correction, then you are a fool! I am a very defensive person who does not take criticism very well. (just ask my husband or the people I work with!) When someone tries to give me advice or correction, my first impulse to defend myself and get angry. But God is telling us that is not only foolish, but dangerous too. Proverbs 10:8 says The wise in heart accept commands, but a chattering fool comes to ruin. Proverbs 19:16 says He who obeys instructions guards his life, but he who is contemptuous of his ways will die. The advice and words of wisdom from those around us are meant to help us and enrich our lives. Don't react to them as a fool does. Gladly and lovingly accept advice and correction and you will be on the path to greater and deeper wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment