Saturday, March 13, 2010

March 13

Growing older on purpose

Caleb is my hero. Caleb says in our text today, "Now then, just as the Lord promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the desert. So here I am today, eighty-five years old! I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. Now give me this hill country that the Lord promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the Lord helping me, I will drive them out just as he said."

How does an 85 year old have this spunk in his life? Most people 85 are bitter and have already lost their passion in life? How did Caleb do it?

1. He followed God wholeheartedly… verse 9. The mission kept him in the game. It is all about Jesus. If you were to summarize your mission in a sentence what would it be?

2. He had a great resources… “the Lord helped me”… verse 16 With God nothing is impossible.

3. He had great faith… “I will drive them out”… verse 16 Without faith we will fail.

4. He must have stayed in shape.. “just as vigorous.” He must have taken care of his body through exercise and diet. So put down that donut and when you finish reading go out for a walk. Be sure to take an umbrella with you today.

What I find amazing is this guy wanted the hill country. I am a road biker, the kind you pedal, and I hate hills. Taking my body up a hill is not fun. Going down is great but the climb is terrible. I am put to shame here by an 85 year old guy who wants the hill country. No flat lands for him.

So what can we do to grow old on purpose? Do exactly what Caleb did.

When we are 85 let’s have a race up Bear Mountain, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment