Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 11

How much is your sin going to cost me?

Joshua 7:1 But the Israelites acted unfaithfully in regard to the devoted things; Achan son of Carmi, the son of Zimri, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took some of them. So the Lord's anger burned against Israel.

Wait a minute. It says here the Israelites acted unfaithfully. I thought it was Achan who sinned? We gain an insight of the cost of sin in this story. What Achan did ended up infecting, or affecting, the entire group. In the end 36 families had to have funeral services, 36 families lost a loved one and would have to live their entire lives with a huge hole in their hearts. That is a tremendous cost for a single sin. It also says that the Lord’s anger burned against Israel. So there was also a vertical disconnection with God because of this sin.

Now if you are saying this is unfair, this just isn’t right you, you are looking at it from an American point of view. We live in a radical individualistic culture where the individual reigns supreme. We even advertise it “Have it your way” or we sing “I did it my way.”

But in eastern cultures the family and community is tightly bound together. You don’t live individually you live as a group. For one person to bring shame upon themselves is to bring shame upon the family name or the entire group.

What we need to learn from this story is that we are all tied together. No one sins in isolation. The eastern culture is a clearer picture of the true cost of sin.

When I sin I hurt my wife, my children, my church and my community. They might not even know what is going on but my sin will impact them because it impacts me. We are not just individuals we are also groups. This should help us in our fight against sin and temptation.

The opposite is just as equally true. We need to make good decisions so that we become pillars of strength to those around us. Today make good, godly choices and then become a pillar of strength to your family, church and community.

Some Lessons from today’s Reading:

1. Secret sins are not really secret.

2. Look at the pattern of sin..... I saw ... I coveted.... I took...... I hid. Sin starts in the heart.

3. Every sin has a tremendous price tag on it. Think ahead when you are tempted to sin.

4. Make a commitment to be a positive influence in your family today. Live a holy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment