Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday, February 22

I hope we all keep on pressing and read through the 'laws section'. I admit I find my mind wondering off when I read them! But again remember that every detail matters in God's plan. Especially, the laws He gives must matter. Here are some more thoughts on these offerings (and symbolism I see) …

Fellowship offering – or a 'peace offering' to God.
What a beautiful idea! When you build a relationship with a person you build a community with them by sharing together joyful things and keeping peace with them. God wants the same relationship with us. But as in people relationships, this requires an active commitment. The Israelites were taught how to start this habit by presenting fellowship offerings. But I am sure it had to reflect what was actually in their hearts. We also today need to look at what more can we offer to God as a sign that we want peace and friendship with him. Yes, it starts with offering our hearts and committing our lives to Him...remember also 'the Sabbath' discipline we've been learning about as an example what we can offer.

Present an offering without defect.
Gods demanded animal offerings without defect. To me this is a reminder first that He is holy and second that He wants us to strive for holiness (as impossible as it is for a human). It also could symbolize that our offerings are to be genuine. I don't think this is a call to be 'perfectionists.' ...God calls our offerings to him to be 'the real thing': from the heart, truthful and genuine, not just religious rituals:

"I the LORD search the heart
and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
according to what his deeds deserve." (Jeremiah 17:10)

‘Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.’ (Psalm 139: 23-24)

An aroma pleasing to the Lord.
At the end of the day, what we offer to God pleases Him, he rejoices in us. You've read before of the mega party in Heaven that happens when a heart accepts Christ? Well, I imagine God partying wildly every time we offer yet another bit of ourselves to Him, no matter how small.

An offering made by fire.
This reminds me of God the Holy Spirit who lives in us and helps us with His consuming power to build a relationship with Him daily and be transformed.

Sprinkle it's blood on all sides.
We read that there is a lot of blood being sprinkled at the altar when these sacrifices were being made, and on all sides. At the end of the day, the atonement for all sin, all wrongdoing of every human being, was through the blood of Christ who was sacrificed, and His blood was 'sprinkled all around' - for everyone to believe and be saved.

All our offerings are to be presented at a Holy place.
For the Israelites this was to be the future temple to be built –a physical place. In our lives that holy place is ‘being with Christ.’ Jesus is to be LORD of all of our lives, He is to dwell in every aspect of our life. It is a huge challenge for me to let Him control EVERY aspect, but we are to offer it all to him: from confession to praise to life transformation, letting Him lead our lives.

‘How lovely is your dwelling place, oh, Lord almighty
For my soul longs and even faints for you
Lord, here my heart is satisfied within your presence
I sing beneath the shadow of your wings

Better is one day in your court, better is one day in your house
Better is one day in your court than thousands elsewhere’ (‘Better Is One Day’ song)

Have you offered your heart and life to God? In what outward way can you express it this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment