Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 19

Genesis 42:6-45:15

In today's passage, Joseph sees his family for the first time since he was sold into slavery. He recognizes them at once, but they do not recognize him. Only ten of his brothers were there, so he devises a plan to have them bring Benjamin to Egypt as well. In the end, there is joyful reunion when Joseph reveals who he is. He tells his brothers to move their families (including their elderly father Jacob) to Egypt so they can have all they need during the famine.

I have to believe that the temptation to get revenge would have been tremendous for Joseph. He was taken from his home, separated from his father, accused of a crime he didn't commit, and spent several years in jail all because of his brothers' jealousy. Now, he was in a position of great power. He was second in command of a powerful nation that had more than enough provisions during a time of famine. He could have refused to sell them food, he could have had them all arrested, he could have had them killed. I think any of us would have felt tempted to get even if we were in the same position.

Fortunately, Joseph did none of those things. He recognized that what his brothers intended for evil, God used for good. If Joseph had never been a slave and a prisoner, he would have never had the opportunity to save his family from the famine. His hardships were all a part of God's bigger plan that Joseph and his brothers could have never dreamed of. He forgave them and experienced the joy of a reconciled family, while they had everything they needed.

It's important to remember how Joseph responded to hardships. We need to remember that God has a bigger plan that we may not be able to see until we have past through difficulties. One of my favorite songs is Lead of Love by Caedmon's Call. The message of the song is a great reminder, through hard times: its important to keep in mind where God is leading us and that He is with us every step of the way.

Lead of Love
Caedmon's Call

Looking back at the road so far
The journey's left its share of scars
Mostly from leaving the narrow and straight

Looking back it is clear to me
That a man is more than the sum of his deeds
And how You've made good of this mess I've made
Is a profound mystery

Looking back You know You had to bring me through
All that I was so afraid of
Though I questioned the sky, now I see why
Had to walk the rocks to see the mountain view
Looking back I see the lead of love

Looking back I can finally see (I'd rather have wisdom)
How failures bring humility (than be)
Brings me to my knees (a comfortable fool)
Helps me see my need for Thee

Looking back You know You had to bring me through
All that I was so afraid of
Though I questioned the sky, now I see why
Had to walk the rocks to see the mountain view
Looking back I see the lead of love

No comments:

Post a Comment