Monday, July 27, 2009

July 27

The Ancient Ways

I know there is a danger of looking back and longing for the “good old days” but recently I have found myself wondering if the old days weren’t better. Today’s newspaper has a picture of Lance Armstrong who finished 3rd in the Tour de France. It was remarkable for him to do this at age 37 and after being retired for over three years. But the picture of his celebration at the end was sad. There he is with his trophy, his three children, his ex-wife, his girl friend and their new baby Max. What a messed up picture. How much pain is found in each one of their hearts after all they have been through?

Our reading today has this lesson and warning:

Jeremiah 6:16 This is what the Lord says:
"Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
But you said, 'We will not walk in it.'

When we follow the ancient paths, the pathways set down by God, we find rest for our souls.

I don’t know about you but I need to find rest for my soul. I long for peace, rest, and joy to flood my heart like a river overflowing its banks. But the only way to find this rest is to walk in the ancient paths set down by God. Call me old fashioned, or even hopelessly out of touch, but I would rather have “rest” than the world’s highest bike trophy.

Today is accountability day. So send me an email and tell me where you are at on our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment