Wednesday, May 6, 2009

May 6

In “A Forgiving God in an Unforgiving World,” Ron Lee Davis retells the true story of a priest in the Philippines, a much-loved man of God who carried the burden of a secret sin he had committed many years before. He had repented but still had no peace, no sense of God's forgiveness.
In his parish was a woman who deeply loved God and who claimed to have visions in which she spoke with Christ and he with her. The priest, however, was skeptical. To test her he said, "The next time you speak with Christ, I want you to ask him what sin your priest committed while he was in seminary." The women agreed.
A few days later the priest asked, "Well, did Christ visit you in your dreams?"
"Yes, he did," she replied.
"And did you ask him what sin I committed in seminary?"
"Yes."
"Well, what did he say?"
"He said, “I don't remember. What God forgives, he forgets.”

Since we have all had a “seminary experience” in life many people are walking around with a heavy load of guilt on their hearts. Psalm 32 was written after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba. David was unsuccessful in his attempts to hide it, and it took a terrible toll on his body and spirit.

“When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer.”

Guilt does take a heavy toll on our bodies. I picked up this statistic a few years ago and cannot verify it, but I heard that 50% of people in mental health facilities could walk out cured if they knew they were forgiven. I know in my own life that when I carry guilt around it saps my joy, my peace and my physical strength.

But there is hope in this psalm. “Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord"-- and you forgave the guilt of my sin.”

If we have the courage to ask for forgiveness, God has the power to give it. Whatever debilitating guilt is silently eating away at your soul, come clean today and experience the wonderful freedom in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment