Tuesday, April 7, 2009

April 7

Here are my thoughts on today's reading:

David truly is a titan of the old testament.  During his life time he gives us examples of textbook mess ups, and textbook examples of great leadership.  Today he shows us his great leadership skills.
Life is involuntarily humbling when you realize what you are surrounded by and who created those surroundings.  When we come to a point where we are in awe of God, whether it is in fear or in praise, we are humbled.  David shows humility and respect for God in these chapters by always making sure that God is glorified by consulting and asking him for advice.  

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my delivered,
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold
I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
and I am saved from my enemies.

I can personally tell you, I fail to consult God all the time.  If we looked at percentages, I'd probably say i consult God 25% of the time i need to make decisions or when i find my self in trouble.  Why?  Why is it that even though life is humbling we are proud?
In my life, I don't have Philistines at my door or a golden box with fancy wood and golden angels (ark) that is untouchable.  (Imagine if you had that in your living room! people found this to be a blessing... sheesh i'd move out!).  David had all these issues, worse, he was the leader of all of Israel.  If a great leader, such as David, finds it necessary to pray and be humble, shouldn't I do the same?  yup.

I wish i knew why i hate asking God for advice at times.  I also wish i knew why I feel more confident going with my gut feeling, rather than what i think God is leading me to do.  I'm sure one of you will agree with me.  The point is this, it happens!  We fail to be humble and ask God, that doesn't mean we ignore the problem.  I hope, and pray, that as we read about David's life we realize that great leaders are humble.  Great leaders need God and so do we.  Take time in your day, say hello to God.  Instead of inquiring him about all your issues, take time to say hello.  If your friend called you ONLY to complain and ask you for answers, would you be happy? no (that's why you are not God).  Talk to God, tell him thank you, tell him about your day, tell him about your issues, tell him thank you for his son, thank him for your surroundings and above all, be humble.  Realize that he's in control, and we need to learn to include him in our lives, through prayer and faith.

In my distress I called to the Lord;
I called out to my God.
From his temple he heard my voice;
my cry came to his ears.

He's always listening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment