Saturday, April 18, 2009

April 18

I Chronicles 26-29

The Heart of the Problem in the US in 2009.

1 Chron. 29:14-16 But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand. 15We are aliens and strangers in your sight, as were all our forefathers. Our days on earth are like a shadow, without hope. 16O Lord our God, as for all this abundance that we have provided for building you a temple for your Holy Name, it comes from your hand, and all of it belongs to you.

In these verses David realizes that he is not the man to build the temple. But he also realizes that he has received incredible blessings from his God. First of all, God chose his people. Of all the nations of earth God chose the Jews. He expresses his gratitude for everything he possesses; he appreciates that everything he has is a gift from God. There is no hint of any entitlement on his part. This gratitude even includes his life and even his hope. Awareness of the goodness of God and the expression of thanksgiving were the source of David’s happiness. A grateful heart is the foundation of all happiness in life.

Now think through your day today. Has it been characterized by whining or thanksgiving?

Some of the privileges in my life:
1. Why was I born at this particular time in human history and not during some barbaric war?
2. Why was I born in a spotless delivery room in an American hospital and not some steaming shelter in a dank jungle of Amazon?
3. Why did I have the privilege of going to public schools while millions around the world don't have enough money for a book?
4. How does it happen that my children were tucked into warm beds at night with clean sheets while millions of babies in the world will lie down in cold rooms, many in their own filth?
5. Why are my children healthy and strong when others deal with incredible hardships in life?
6. Why should I have found such a loving and caring wife?
7. Why should I have a great church and friendly people to pastor?
8. Why can I sit down to a warm meal whenever I want to and eat too much when billions will go to bed tonight hungry?
9. Why was I born in a land I didn't build, in a prosperity that I didn't create?
10. Why over the centuries of this great nation would countless thousands of servicemen die on unnamed beaches, farmland and jungles all over this globe to provide for me the privilege to eat my dinner in peace?
11. Why should I enjoy such a great freedom?
12. Why will I spend this Sunday morning in a comfortable church rather than in some dark corner of some rat infested alley in Calcutta?
13. Why did I have the opportunity to hear the good news about Jesus?

Do I deserve these things?
Did I earn these things?
By what right do I have them?

The grateful heart is a happy heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment