Sunday, July 22, 2018

July 22, 2018

 

"The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave coiled around me.; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him into his ears." Psalm 18: 4-6

This Psalm really hit home for me. The other day I had a close encounter with death. I almost got hit by a car. I don't know if the driver was drunk, on drugs or maybe texting. Whatever the reason, she lost control of the car and came straight towards me. The car changed the direction, just as I was sure that the collision was inevitable. It was God's hand that protected me.

I walked away sobbing. I was suddenly so aware of how fragile life is, how everything can change in a split second, but also how good the Lord is. I was humbled and grateful for his mercy and protection. This world feels so unsafe at times. It is indeed a war zone, but we are called to live boldly.  "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour". 1 Peter 5:8 Satan might target our physical bodies, our families, our health, our finances but the victory belongs to Jesus. "And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross". Col. 2:15. "Take heart, I have overcome the world!" John 16:33

We are called to keep pressing forward. It's more tempting to build a protection wall around, just to have the illusion of safety, and the comfort of "that will never happen to me again". The problem with the human safety plan is that the walls become lonely prisons. The only safe place is in the Lord. "They stoned Paul and dragged him outside the city, thinking he was dead. But after the disciples had gathered around him, he got up and went back into the city". Acts 14:19-20 Who in the right mind would do that? Who would want to return to a place where one was stoned to death? We as Christians we are called to do just that. No matter how unsafe, how painful or scary it might be, we need to never give up.  We are not alone! We walk in victory! Our God is a God that hears our voices, our cries. "I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies" Psalm 18:3. He is the God of unfailing love.  "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" Isaiah 49:15

I love you, O Lord, my strength. Ps 18:1

 

No comments:

Post a Comment