Monday, July 26, 2010

July 26

"Your own conduct and actions
have brought this upon you.
This is your punishment.
How bitter it is!
How it pierces to the heart!"
Oh, my anguish, my anguish!
I writhe in pain.
Oh, the agony of my heart!
My heart pounds within me,
I cannot keep silent. (Jeremiah 4:18-19)

Do you think these are just Jeremiah's words and feelings? I can't help but think that God might have felt the same way. As we read the prophet's words to Israel and Judah about their guilt, do you wonder what was going on in God’s heart?


God is not vulnerable and needy as humans are. He is complete in Himself and does not need to be validated and fulfilled by our love. And yet somehow at the same time He is joyous for us or suffers when we suffer, He fully and lavishly loves us - yes, to the point of dying for us. He also says to us: I can’t keep silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment