Monday, June 8, 2009

June 8

Music and Faith

2 Kings 3:15 But now bring me a harpist. While the harpist was playing, the hand of the Lord came upon Elisha.

Have you ever been at a place in your life where your spirit was troubled and you needed to calm yourself? I have visited that location many times in my life. Elisha also was a frequent vacationer there. In the story today he finds himself a little agitated at King Joram of Israel for hoping to receive God’s blessing for the upcoming battle. It was usually Joram’s practice to ask the false prophets for their always affirmative support and to neglect God. Well, Elisha is incensed and he needed to calm down in order to be in any state of mind to receive a word from the Lord. Hence the harpist was called in, the soothing chords and gently flowing music brought peace to his mind.

This is a good lesson for all of us on our Bible Reading Journey. There are particular days when we are not in the right frame of mind to receive anything from God. Yet we are committed to reading daily from his word. At that critical juncture I would suggest calling in a harpist. Now harpists probably charge over two hundred dollars an hour so that might become expensive but why not purchase a CD of some gentle praise and worship music and play that to help change your mood. Music does have a profound impact on our lives and we should use it to help us connect with God.

Today is accountability day.

Send me an email to tell me what day you are on.

I would like to suggest a celebration for the Bible Reading Group when we hit the half way point.
How does Monday June 29th work for you ... potluck dinner at my house at 7:00 pm.
Let me know if you can participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment