Monday, March 9, 2009

March 9

Send me a quick email to let me know where you are in your Bible Reading.

Last Words reveal a lot.

Read Deut 33, 34

For every person, there will come a last meal, a last breath and, of course, a last statement. And in many ways, what we say in the end is a real insight into what we were in life, what we stood for and what we lived for. Generally, we die as we have lived.

Here are some last words.
American patriot Nathan Hale "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
Princess Diana, following that horrific car accident in a Paris tunnel, was heard to say, "My God, what happened?"
Voltaire the renowned atheist said to his physician, "I am abandoned by God and man. I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months of life. Then I shall go to hell and you will go with me, oh, Christ, oh, Jesus Christ!"
P.T. Barnum the circus man said, “How were the receipts today at Madison Square Garden?”
John Maynard Keynes the economist who got us into our current financial mess said, "I wish I'd drunk more champagne."
Gandhi said “My days are numbered. For the first time in 50 years I find myself in the slough of despond. All about me is darkness...”
Karl Marx said, "Go on, get out. Last words are for fools who haven't said enough."
Elvis Presley “I hope I haven't bored you." (Concluding what would be his last press conference.)
Dylan Thomas "I have just had eighteen whiskeys in a row. I do believe that is a record."
Henry David Thoreau in a discussion with his aunt on his death bed was asked by her, “Have you made your peace with your God?” “I never quarreled with my God.'” “But aren't you concerned about the next world?” ”One world at a time.”
Oscar Wilde "Either this wallpaper goes, or I do!"

What a difference faith makes.
Todd Beamer a man of faith and a passenger on United Flight 93, September 11, 2001. “Are you guys ready? Let's roll.”
Hudson Taylor, founder of China Inland Mission, in the closing months of his life said to a friend, "I am so weak. I can't read my Bible. I can't even pray. I can only lie still in God's arms like a little child and trust."
The great evangelist D. L. Moody, on his deathbed, said, "I see Earth receding and heaven is opening. God is calling me."

Roll the clock ahead 1400 years. See Jesus hanging on a Roman Cross. What will his last words be?
Toward the end of that terrible day – from about noon until three o'clock in the afternoon – an ominous darkness fell across the land. There in the darkness of the hour Jesus cries out, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" This is the title for Psalm 22 which Jesus wanted us to read since he could not preach a sermon on the cross. But as Jesus hung there he was enduring hell so that we wouldn’t have to. He was bearing the sins of the world. He was dying as a substitute for others, suffering the punishment for those sins on their behalf. Last words do reveal a lot about a person’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment